Upper Black Eddy - Millford (1842-1933)

Upper Black Eddy - Milford

The Milford Delaware Bridge Company completed its bridge over the Delaware River between Upper Black Eddy, Pa. and Milford, N.J. in January 1842.

It was one of the shorter Delaware River covered bridges, at a total length of 681 feet. It also was a Burr-style arch bridge with sidewalks on both sides. Its style is known as a “shotgun bridge,” due to its center dividing wall.

Only one span was lost in the great October 1903 flood, which was repaired with wood that had washed downriver from the Riegelsville bridge.

In June 1929, the Inter-state Joint Bridge Commission bought the Upper Black Eddy and the Uhlerstown river bridges and eliminated tolls on both bridges. It replaced the Upper Black Eddy wooden bridge with a steel structure in 1933.