McConkey's Ferry (1834-1903)

Washington's Crossing

The Taylorsville Delaware Bridge Company built an 875 foot-long covered bridge at McConkey's Ferry in 1834 at the site where George Washington and the Continental Army crossed the Delaware River in December 1776. The first bridge was destroyed in an 1841 river flood or freshet. It was replaced by another covered bridge.

After the 1841 flood, local residents managed to salvage two signboards, painted by artist Edward Hicks, honoring Washington’s 1776 crossing.  Years later, one was acquired by Dr. Henry Mercer. The painting remains in the collection of the Mercer Museum.

The second bridge was totally destroyed in the flood of October 10, 1903, and it was replaced with a steel bridge in 1904.